Yet More Greed and Wanton Habitat Destruction in Dyffryn Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales

- A Destructive Practice of Ignorance For Ever More Land, Sheep, and Payments...

Fenland or Permanent Grassland, - Which Is It? In the first instance if (as was definitely the case with the destroyed fenland below the B4418) you are talking about land that has not been cultivated any time within the last 15 years, you are talking about land that requires an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) before it can be worked on or cultivated.

Failing the above there is the question of whether or not the land contains less than 25% improved agricultural grass species and / or white clover, which was most certainly the case and, in which case, an EIA must be obtained before working on it.

Then there is the question of whether or not the land constitutes permanent grassland, which is where things can become a bit murky and ambiguous (although not in this case). The following is taken directly from a 2018 Rural Payments publication:

What is Permanent Grassland[?]

Permanent grassland and permanent pasture (together referred to as permanent grassland) means land used to grow grasses or other herbaceous forage naturally (self-seeded) or through cultivation (sown) and that has not been included in the crop rotation of the holding for five years or more.

For clarity, areas declared as Permanent Grassland (PGRS), Rough Grazings (RGR) or Open Woodland (grazed) (WDG) are all included within permanent grassland for the purposes of the Basic Payment Scheme and Greening.

All unimproved semi-natural areas are already protected by:
All farmers, including those farming organic land, are required to comply with Environmental Impact Assessment and Cross Compliance rules regarding ploughing of permanent grassland. If you have land in Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs), you must also observe site requirements that may apply to grassland habitats on the site.

Bearing in mind that The 'Farmers' of the Destroyed Fenland have been openly abusing CAP payments for who-knows how many years now, and that any work they have done on that land would most definitely have been included in the records that they are supposed to keep and submit in support of their BPS, Cross-Compliance, and Greening payments as a result, it should be simple enough for RPW and Natural Wales, both, to determine whether or not that land has been worked on since it was first purchased in 1993 (26 years ago), and whether or not it was worked on at any time after 2008 with no EIA in place (even assuming, for the sake of argument, that it had been worked on prior to 2008).

Please Note: this site is undergoing ongoing changes and amendments as further details and evidence is gathered and added to the site, so please feel free to use the contact details given at the foot of this page should you have any questions or should you wish to submit further details or evidence of your own; but please do not send attachments without first contacting me, as the attachments will simply be deleted by the mail server otherwise.

All the media material on this site is available by request, including copies of the original .jpg, .mov, .mp4 files and additional material that is not currently part of the online article; likewise all letters and emails relating to contact with Rural Wales, the Environment Agency, and Natural Wales.

For anyone wanting to make their own reports of similar activities in their area, please contact me via my secure email address, and via a Protonmail account (free accounts available), if possible. Field numbers are also essential for reporting incidents to Rural Payments, and these can be determined via MAGIC [ Maps > Interactive Map > Where Am I? top menu-bar button) > click on relevant area on the main map for the field number after zooming-in on, or searching for, that area) ].

I can also be contacted via Mastodon

Short URL:

- @: Ex5NY27U

- secure email address as detailed above -

IPv6 Ready
Valid CSS!